Monday, July 7, 2008

Rabbi Shergill is honoured for creating positive image of the Sikh

One year ago I discovered Rabbi Shergill. He is like John Lennon. He is an amazing Sikh singer. I even had this song as my ring tone. First time when I heard song, I didn't know the meaning but it is beautiful. That time I knew there is a great meaning behind it. I wasn't wrong. Today reading news I found out this:

"Singer Rabi Shergill and others were among those honoured on Sunday by a US-based Sikh organisation for creating positive image of the Sikh community and being role models." By Economic Times
Congratulations to Rabbi!


For those who can't understand the meaning of words, I found translation.

Not a believer inside the mosque, am
IN or a pagan disciple of false rites
Not the pure amongst the impure
Neither Moses, nor the Pharoh
Bulleh! to me, I am not known
Not in the holy Vedas, am I
Nor in opium, neither in wine
Not in the drunkard`s craze
Neither awake, nor in a sleeping daze
Bulleh! to me, I am not known
In happiness nor in sorrow, am I
Neither clean, nor a filthy mire
Not from water, nor from earth
Neither fire, nor from air, is my birth
Bulleh! to me, I am not known
Not an Arab, nor Lahori
Neither Hindi, nor Nagauri
Hindu, Turk (Muslim), nor Peshawari
Nor do I live in Nadaun
Bulleh! to me, I am not known
Secrets of religion, I have not known
From Adam and Eve, I am not born
I am not the name I assume
Not in stillness, nor on the move
Bulleh! to me, I am not known
I am the first, I am the last
None other, have I ever known
I am the wisest of them all
Bulleh! do I stand alone?
Bulleh! to me, I am not known
Bulla ki jaana is song by Baba Bulleh Shah and it by Rabbi Shergill

2 comments:

bhawan said...

Ooooooooh that's great, I just love Rabbi Shergil's singing style & voice, really I am so happy to know that he was honoured by sikh community in U.K.

Well I listen to the song 'Bulla ki Jana Mein Kaun' in the voice of Anandmurti Gurumaa for the very first time, rather there was a collection of famous Sufi songs of Baba Bullehshah in an called 'Dilbar Ki Karda', and then only I came to know about sufism, sufi music & sufi saints. When I listened to Rabbi, wohhhh, because I like fusion, especially punjabi songs in fusion music, that's why I like Sukhinder Shinda , Bally Saggoo etc.

Anonymous said...

Rabbi Shergill's Avengi Ja Nahin has broke into #1 in Radio City Indi Pop charts.


Way to go Rabbi